There are three Churches on the North Friesian Island of Föhr and it is in these Churchyards were the Speaking Gravestones are to be found.
St Johannis ( St. John the Baptist ), Nieblum
Nieblum Church 1895
St.Johannis's Church, which is the oldest and largest of the three Churches on the Island, was built in the 13th century. However there is also mention of a Church of the same name dating back to 1100 and so it had probably been built on the same sight.
Saint Nicholas is the Patron Saint of Sailors and with so many of the Islanders being seafaring people, it is understandable that one of the Churchs should bear his name in honour of him.
St. Laurentii ( St. Lawrence ), Süderende
St. Lauentii 1953